Scientists and Engineers Early-Career Development (SEED) Workshop
Venue: Renaissance Los Angeles Airport Hotel
9620 Airport Boulevard, Los Angeles, California 90045 USA
(Complimentary shuttle service to and from Los Angeles Airport)
KSEA is pleased to announce a workshop for early-areer development opportunities. The symposium will be tailored for young people pursuing careers in Industry, Academia, and Public service. Special focus will be placed on strategies for winning grants, publication of research in reputable journals, and advancement in academia and industry careers. Speakers include experts in grant and paper writing, as well as distinguished faculty members who can provide guidance for career development in a competitive environment. KSEA will generously subsidize transportation, meals, and lodging expenses. We strongly encourage everyone to take advantage of this opportunity.
Benefits of the Workshop
1) Learn how to obtain research grants from funding agencies such as the NSF and NIH
2) Get information on job openings in academia, research institutions, and industry
3) Understand how to prepare for tenure/performance evaluation
4) Learn how to give an effective presentation
5) Build an information network with fellow scientists and engineers in the US
Travel Support for the Attendees
1) Airfare: $250.00 maximum if the travel distance in one way is more than 750 miles and $200 max otherwise.
2) Driving: Mileage reimbursement: KSEA standard (50 cents/mile). Driving mileage reimbursement cannot exceed the airfare for the same travel.
• Please note that the amount list is the maximum allowed and do your best to minimize the cost.
3) Hotel accommodation: one night (Sat. December. 6th)
• Room sharing (2 attendees per room) is required.
• Attendants from LA area (30 min driving distance) will not be reimbursed for the hotel accommodation.
• The room is allocated by KSEA.
4) Meals: lunch and dinner on Sat. December. 6th, and breakfast on Sun. December. 7th 5) Full attendance (for two days) required for the financial support.
Eligibility for Participation
• Undergraduate students
• Graduate students
• PhD Candidates
• Young Professional
Application Materials: Curriculum Vitae(CV),
The application should be submitted through the KSEA website. Follow the link below to submit the application.
The Online Submission has been closed.
Application Deadline: November 8, 2014
Finalists Announcement: November 11, 2014
Selection Criteria: Competitive Merit based selection
1) KSEA membership required: link to KSEA registration site (http://www.ksea.org/join.aspx)
2) Maximum attendance: 100 people(Those who attended the SEECD and ProDeW in the previous years are NOT eligible.)
We strongly recommend those in the Eastern US to apply for the upcoming SEED which is tentatively scheduled in Washington D.C, March 2015.
Name : Junho Cha, SEED 2014 Co-Chair
Email : GDHOD43CHAJH@ksea.org